Using rideshare is an extremely easy and popular way to get around. Especially in a major city like Atlanta. Currently, at least 25% of the U.S. population uses rideshare at least once per month. Uber alone currently has one million drivers in the U.S. As rideshare options grow, unfortunately, there is a greater risk of getting in a rideshare accident. It’s important to understand what you should do if you get in a rideshare accident in Atlanta.
What to do immediately after you are in a rideshare accident in Atlanta.
Obviously, you don’t want to be in the situation of getting in an accident at all. However, if you do these are the steps you should follow.
- Call the police. The first thing you want to do is to call the police and report an accident. You will want them to come to the scene so a police report can be filed. It is also Georgia law that you have to report all car accidents, including rideshare accidents. If you are not seriously harmed and able to here’s a quick to-do list while you are waiting for the police;
- Exchange information with the rideshare driver, any other passengers, and all other parties involved in the accident.
- Get the name, business card, and/or badge number of law enforcement and medical workers on the scene.
- Take photos of any damage to vehicles, yourself, and personal property if you can do so safely.
- Screenshot and/or download info on the ride from the app.
- Report the accident on the rideshare app.
What you should do after you have left the scene of your accident
- Get medical assistance. Even if you don’t feel like you were injured, you need to get checked out by a medical professional and obtain a medical report. If you are planning on filling in any claims, you will need a medical report. Sometimes injuries from car accidents can go unnoticed for a few hours. An example would be whiplash.
- Contact the rideshare company. Report the accident to the rideshare company. Make sure to keep records and make notes of contact or lack of contact. You will need records for your case.
- Contact an Atlanta personal injury attorney. It’s not easy to file a claim against a rideshare company in Atlanta on your own. It’s best to contact a personal injury attorney that can help you. A good attorney will provide you will a free case consultation.
Read this blog; What to expect from my personal injury attorney
Top 4 reasons for rideshare accidents in Atlanta
- The rideshare driver is distracted. This includes taking calls, accepting a new ride, and distracting passengers.
- Driving in a non-familiar area. A rideshare driver can become easily distracted by looking at a map, trying to figure out which direction to go, changing lanes or looking for street signs.
- Unsafe driving habits. Just because they are a rideshare driver doesn’t automatically make them a good drivers.
- Weather conditions. Drivers may choose to still drive even under bad conditions because they want to make money. If you don’t think it’s safe to drive, stay home and don’t just automatically trust your driver.
Types of rideshare accident claims
- Offline. If a driver is offline, Uber or Lyft will not provide any type of insurance coverage. The driver’s personal auto insurance policy would apply.
- App On / Accepting Ride / Waiting For Ride Request. If a driver is accepting new rides or waiting for ride requests, Uber or Lyft will provide $50,000 in bodily injury coverage per person up to $100,000 per accident.
- En Route & During Trips. If a driver is en route or transporting a rider, Uber or Lyft will provide $1,000,000 in bodily injury or uninsured-under-insured motorist coverage.
Ways to seek compensation from a rideshare accident
They are numerous ways to seek compensation for a rideshare accident in Atlanta. A personal injury will be able to help receive your recovery money which can pay for or help you with the following;
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation treatment/trauma treatment
- Pain and suffering/Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of income
- Punitive damages
It is important to know that under Georgia law you have two years to file an injury compensation claim against the rideshare company. However, the longer you wait the more difficult it could become to file your claim.
In a rideshare accident? We can help you get your injury compensation claim.
If you are ready to take the next steps? If you are ready to meet with an attorney you can contact us and call 833-4TheWin to speak with one of the experienced personal injury attorneys from Georgia Trial Attorneys.