Did you know that rear-end car accidents are one of the most common causes of car accidents across the United States? National Highway Transportation Safety Administration reports that 29% of car accidents are from rear-end car accidents. A rear-end car accident can be one of the most terrifying because you can see it about to happen, and you have little time to react or brace for impact. In addition, rear-end car accidents can result in serious, life-changing injuries. Our car accident attorneys are discussing what common rear-end accidents typically occur, the type of injuries that can occur from rear-end car accidents, and what to do after you have been in a rear-end car accident.
How rear-end car accidents occur in Atlanta
Most rear-end collisions occur on dry, straight, and level roads during daytime hours. About eighty-one percent of the time, rear-end collisions occur because the first vehicle had stopped and the following vehicle was following too closely to the car in front.
More common reasons for rear-end car accidents include;
- The driver following the vehicle failed to react to the stopped/slowed car due to being distracted or not paying attention.
- The driver was driving too fast or too close to another car.
- The driver was on their cell phone or talking with a passenger.
- Driver fatigue. Driver fatigue is a common occurrence in accidents involving truck drivers.
- Drivers who fail to adjust their speed for the effects of rain, snow, slush, ice, high winds, and fog are more likely to rear-end another vehicle.
- Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Common Rear-End Accident Injuries
Rear-end collisions can be very dangerous for the victims and cause serious injuries. The kinetic force of the rear-end impact is often enough to leave a person with painful neck and spinal injuries. Here are the most common injuries that can occur from rear-end car accidents.
Eighty-five percent of car accident neck injuries are due to rear-end collisions. The most common neck injuries from a rear-end car accident are whiplash injuries.
Other symptoms of a neck injury include:
- Pain when moving neck and neck stiffness
- Limited range of motion in the neck
- Pain in shoulders, upper back, or arms
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
Spinal and Back Injuries
The violent momentum of rear-end crash causes the head to snap back and forth. The body also unconsciously braces for impact, tightening muscles and ligaments. This can create a cascade of injuries up and down the entire spine and back.
The most common spinal injuries resulting from a rear-end collision are bulging and herniated or slipped discs.
- Tingling in legs and arms
- Pain throughout your neck, back, and body
- Weakness in legs and arms
Spinal and back pain can impair and ruin a person’s quality of life. Don’t assume it will go away if you experience these symptoms during a rear-end car accident. Symptoms can possibly lead to more pain and potentially permanent damage.
Concussions are also common after rear-end car accidents because the force of impact during the collision can cause the brain to smash into the skull.
- Feeling disoriented
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Difficulty focusing
- Fatigue or excessive drowsiness
- Impaired coordination or balance
- Memory problems
- Mood swings and personality changes
- Sadness or depression
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Sleep disorders
- Vision or hearing problems
What to do after you have been in a rear-end car accident in Atlanta
The first thing you should do after you have been in a rear-end car accident in Atlanta is seek medical treatment. Unfortunately, sometimes you may not experience pain til later or even weeks after. So you must revisit your doctor if you begin to experience issues with pain.
After your rear-end car accident (if you can), you should;
- Call the police so that you can file an accident report
- Take photos of the scene
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Exchange insurance information
- Then seek medical treatment
- Do not sign anything from your insurance company
- Contact a rear-end car accident attorney
If you have been in a rear-end car accident in Atlanta, feel free to contact our attorneys for help. We can not only provide you with a free consultation, but we can also recommend a doctor who understands the types of injuries you have received from your car accidents. Our rear-end car accident attorneys work with our clients to create a strong case and get you the compensation you deserve.
If you are ready to meet with an attorney, contact us at 833-4TheWin for a complimentary consultation.