Atlanta continues to increase in population; however, with that also comes an increase in car accidents. Unfortunately, in the Atlanta area, hit-and-run car accidents are also steadily increasing; unfortunately, our car accident attorneys are too familiar with these types of accidents. If you find yourself in a hit-and-run situation, our Atlanta personal injury attorneys will walk you through what to do after a hit-and-run accident in Atlanta.
According to the AAA Newsroom, an average of 682,000 hit-and-run car accidents have occurred yearly since 2006 in the United States.
What is a Hit-and-Run?
A hit-and-run is when someone knowingly causes an accident and leaves the scene. Because a person has quickly left the accident scene, there is no information about themselves, and they have avoided assisting the other vehicle or calling 911. A hit-and-run accident can be with another vehicle, a pedestrian, a motorcycle, a bicycle, or even an object.
In Georgia, a hit-and-run is against the law; the person can be charged with a misdemeanor. In addition, the fleeing driver may be charged with a felony if there are injuries.
What To Do If You’re Involved in a Hit-and-Run in Atlanta
Anger is often a common emotion following a hit-and-run accident in Atlanta. You may want to chase the car down to ensure they are responsible for the accident. After all, someone crashed into you, possibly injured you or your vehicle, and then ran.
However, pursuing it is not a good idea, and you should never follow them. Instead, get all information possible to be able to tell the police. If you chase the car, you leave the scene of an accident and could face your own legal issues.
Instead, here are some steps to take if you are involved in a hit-and-run car accident:
- Most importantly, ensure you and your passengers are not injured – everyone’s safety is most important. So do a check on everyone to make sure they are okay.
- If you can, move your car off the road – leaving your vehicle in traffic may cause more accidents. If it is safe, slowly drive your vehicle to the side of the road and out of the traffic flow.
- Call the police – call 911 as soon as possible. You always want a police report concerning the accident.
- Write down all details while they are still fresh in your mind – write down exactly what happened to cause the accident. Also, if possible, write down a description of the other vehicle, license plate information, weather conditions, and other details.
- Take photos – you’ll want pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any debris the other damaged car may have left behind.
- Talk to witnesses – If witnesses stop to help, get their information. Ask for their name and phone number and have them write down what they saw.
- Call an Atlanta personal injury attorney – once you are home safely, call a car accident attorney. Georgia Trial Attorneys will help you fight the other driver and, if necessary, the insurance company.
Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be stressful. Once the accident is over, you must deal with any medical injuries, insurance claims, and car repairs. But you don’t have to handle this alone. The Georgia Trial Attorneys are here to help you.
What Damages Can I Seek After a Hit-and-Run Accident?
Every accident is different, so it is crucial to call an experienced personal injury attorney in Atlanta as soon as possible.
Some of the financial damages that you may be able to recover are:
- Auto repairs
- Loss of use of your vehicle – rental car expense
- Lost wages due to injury or medical care
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
Besides these expenses, you may also seek punitive damages caused by the car accident. Again, an experienced attorney will help you get all the financial payments you deserve.
Don’t delay; there is a limited amount of time after an accident that you can file a claim.
What Should You do After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Atlanta?
If you are involved in a hit-and-run car accident, call Georgia Trial Attorneys at 833-4TheWin. We are experienced car accident attorneys who are here to help you. It is essential to understand your options, and you need an expert on your side. Georgia Trial Attorneys are accident attorneys that can help you file your claim.
Contact Us today for a complimentary consultation.