You may not immediately file an injury claim if you are involved in an Atlanta car accident. But what happens if months go by and your injuries are worse than you thought? How long after a car accident in Atlanta can you still file a claim?
Atlanta is one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States. According to macrotrends.net, the current metro area population of Atlanta is 6,013,000; and that number increases each year. There are roughly 3.5 million cars on our roads, which means we often encounter or are involved in car accidents.
Car accidents in Atlanta: How long after a car accident can you file a claim?
You may have thought that your aches and pains from a car accident were normal. You visited the doctor and, at the time, everything seemed alright. But what if those aches and pains don’t go away? What if you later find out you had some long-term injuries from the accident? Can you still file a lawsuit?
In general, in the state of Georgia, you have up to 2 years to take legal action against the other driver.
But there are always exceptions: If the other car was a state-owned vehicle, you have up to 1 year. If the other car was a city or county-owned vehicle, you only have 6 months to file an injury claim.
You don’t want to wait and be unable to recoup lost money because you didn’t file an accident claim in Atlanta soon enough. Call our Atlanta car accident attorney soon after your car accident.
What Type of Compensation Should I Seek?
Each situation is different, but there are several types of compensation that you may be able to claim.
- Medical Bills – These add up quickly. They can include the ambulance, emergency care, diagnostic imaging, follow-up doctor visits, surgeries, and prescription medication.
- Property Damage – Repairing your car can include tow truck bills, mechanical repairs, and even vehicle replacement.
- Pain and Suffering – It is common to experience depression, anxiety, and insomnia after an accident. You may also experience chronic pain, have multiple surgeries, and be in for a long recovery.
- Lost Wages – If you had to take time off work, you might be compensated for those lost paid days. Depending on your case, you may also be eligible for future wages if cannot return to work.
Once you have given yourself a couple of days to recover from your car accident, contacting a car accident attorney in Atlanta can help in the long run. Even if you are unsure about your situation, tell them what happened while your memory is clear.
Main Causes for Car Accidents in Atlanta
You may have a solid injury claim if the other driver’s negligence caused the accident and they were driving in an unsafe manner. Some reasons for car accidents are:
- driving too slow
- texting while driving
- distracted driving (eating, talking on the phone, talking with another person, looking at something else in the car)
- ignoring traffic signals (run a red light or stop sign, failure to yield)
- driving while intoxicated
- falling asleep at the wheel
These are just some situations that may cause a car accident. Your accident is unique and should be handled as such.
What Should You Do if You’re in an Atlanta Car Accident
Your safety is always the top priority after an accident. Learning what steps should be taken after an Atlanta car accident will help you be prepared. According to Allstate Insurance, there are several steps you should follow after you’ve been in a car accident:
- Check yourself for injuries.
- Check your passengers for injuries.
- Get to safety – if possible, move your car to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights.
- Call the police – even if the accident doesn’t seem too bad, you always want a record of the incident. Be sure to get the officer’s name and badge number. And ask for a copy of the police report.
- Exchange information with the other driver – get their name, contact information, insurance information, driver’s license, type and color and model of the vehicle, and their license plate info. (But NEVER discuss who’s fault was the accident! Say as little as possible regarding blame.)
- Document the accident – take pictures of the scene, your car and their car, and the location of the incident.
All the steps above will help you build a solid case if you find you are injured due to a car accident.
Should You File an Injury Claim for an Atlanta Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, you should call an experienced injury attorney immediately. Whether you file an injury claim now or in the future, having your information on file will help your case. You have up to 2 years to claim an accident injury in Atlanta, and you need an expert on your side. Georgia Trial Attorneys are experienced car accident attorneys that can help you file your claim.
If you are ready to meet with an attorney, contact us at 833-4TheWin for a complimentary consultation.